Bronwyn Williams (Ph.D. candidate)- email@example.com
I am working with Dr. Heather Proctor and Dr. David Coltman on phylogeography and population genetics of Orconectes virilis, the Northern Crayfish, and on the ecology, phylogeny, and biogeography of crayfish symbionts. Orconectes virilis is one of the most widespread crayfish in North America, and its range has increased rapidly in recent decades. I am primarily using genetic tools to test hypotheses about how this species has moved across the continent (natural dispersal vs human-aided), but am also examining morphological, environmental, and symbiont data. I have observed interesting mismatches in distributions of the branchiobdellidan worms and entocytherid ostracods that live symbiotically on O. virilis throughout some, but not all, of their host's range. In collaboration with Dr. Stuart Gelder I am working on unraveling phylogenetic and systematic relationships of the Branchiobdellida using molecular, morphological, and ecological data.
21 JUNE 2012: CONGRATULATIONS TO BRONWYN ON SUCCESSFULLY DEFENDING HER THESIS, AND ON HER POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP AT SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY!
Some publications from my Ph.D. thesis work:
- Williams, B.W., S.R. Gelder, H. Proctor. 2009. Distribution and first report of Branchiobdellida (Annelida: Clitellata) from the Prairie Provinces of Canada. Western North American Naturalist 69:119-124.
- Williams, B.W., C.S. Davis, D.W. Coltman. 2010. Isolation and characterization of nine polymorphic microsatellite loci in the northern crayfish (Orconectes virilis). Conservation Genetics Resources 2:235-237.
- Williams, B.W., S.R. Gelder. 2011. A re-description of Cambarincola bobbi Holt, 1988, a description of a new species of Pterodrilus, and observations of sympatric species of crayfish worms (Annelida: Clitellata: Branchiobdellida) from the Cumberland River watershed in Tennessee. Southeastern Naturalist 10:199-210.
- Gelder, S.R., B.W. Williams. 2011. First distributional study of Branchiobdellida (Annelida: Clitellata) in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park with a redescription of Cambarincola holostomus Hoffman, 1963. Southeastern Naturalist 10:211-220.
- Williams, B.W., K.L. Williams, S.R. Gelder, H.C. Proctor. 2011. Distribution of Entocytheridae (Crustacea: Ostracoda) in the northern Prairies of North America and reports of opportunistic clitellate annelids on crayfish hosts. Western North American Naturalist 71:276-282.
- Williams, B.W., H.C. Proctor, T. Clayton. 2011. Range extension of the northern crayfish, Orconectes virilis (Decapoda, Cambaridae), in the western Prairie Provinces of Canada. Crustaceana 84:451-460.
- Williams, B.W., S.R. Gelder, H.C. Proctor, D.W. Coltman. In review. Molecular phylogeny of North American Branchiobdellida (Annelida: Clitellata). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution.
Other publications (non-Ph.D. thesis-related):
- Scribner, K.T., J. A. Blanchong, D.J. Bruggeman, B.K. Epperson, C.-Y. Lee, Y.-W. Pan, R.I Shorey, B.W. Williams, H.H. Prince, S.R. Winterstein, D.R. Luukkonen. 2005. Geographical genetics: conceptual foundations and empirical applications of spatial genetic data in wildlife management. Journal of Wildlife Management 69:1434-1453. (For correct citation see Erratum in JWM 70:614.)
- Williams, B.W., J.H. Gilbert, P.A. Zollner. 2007. Historical perspective on the reintroduction of the fisher and American marten in Michigan and Wisconsin. U.S.D.A. Forest Service, Northern Research Station, Newtown Square, PA, General Technical Report NRS-5.
- Williams, B.W., K.T. Scribner. 2007. Demographic and genetic evaluation of an American marten reintroduction: a comment on Swanson et al. Journal of Mammalogy 88:1342-1345.
- Williams, B.W., D.R. Etter, D.W. Linden, K.F. Millenbah, S.R. Winterstein, K.T. Scribner. 2009. Noninvasive hair sampling and genetic tagging of co-distributed fishers and American martens. Journal of Wildlife Management 73:26-34.
- Williams, B.W., K.T. Scribner. 2010. Effects of multiple founder populations on spatial genetic structure of reintroduced American martens. Molecular Ecology 19:227-240.
- Belant, J.L., D.R. Etter, P.D. Friedrich, M.K. Cosgrove, B.W. Williams, K.T. Scribner. 2011. Comparison of techniques for sex determination of American martens. Journal of Wildlife Management 75:256-260.
- Williams, B.W., D.R. Etter, P.D. DeWitt, K.T. Scribner, P.D. Friedrich. 2011. Uncertainty in determination of sex from harvested bobcats. Journal of Wildlife Management 75:1508-1512.