Zoology 250: Survey of the Invertebrates
What students said in 1999
About the course in general . . .
- "One of the best Zoo courses I've taken and I love amphibians actually. Now I find invertebrates fascinating. Thanks. Clever organization, it helped to have notes all written out to focus on learning not note taking."
- "At the beginning of the course, I didn't think that I would enjoy invertebrate biology, but surprisingly it was very interesting. In my opinion, it's the prof., Dr. Palmer, who made it so good. He explained things clearly and plus made it interesting to learn about invertebrates. I found myself looking forward to the class."
- "I came to this course expecting it to be boring and hard -- I'm leaving this course with a smile because I've learned so much interesting stuff. I loved every aspect of the course -- the labs are so awesome and the TA's aren't snobs."
- "This is the best class I've taken in university so far! Dr. Palmer is a fantastic instructor -- the course was so well organized that it was never frustrating to approach the material, and I really learned a lot. The course content was very interesting, and I think that the depth and breadth of the material was appropriate for an intro level class. THIS CLASS IS AWESOME! (I'd take it again!!)."
- "Dr. Palmer and all the support staff are a great group of people -- incredibly helpful and enthusiastic. It makes me want to learn more."
- "The course was so well put together that I can't think of anything to add or delete. It was a very interesting and informative class with a great professor, lab coordinator and TA's."
About the lectures . . .
- "Dr. Palmer had so much enthusiasm -- very contagious -- he totally made the lectures. This was the only class I never had to look at the clock."
- "The best part of the course was how the lectures and labs overlapped. This overlap allowed me to further understand concepts explained in class that may have been unclear. The lectures and labs were extremely complementary and made learning the information easier."
- "The lecture handouts were very helpful. I was able to listen to the lecture and pay attention rather than write notes furiously."
About the labs . . .
- "The lab is a great supplement to the lectures -- they truly complement each other."
- "The lab was one of the best I've had yet and studying for lab exams was much easier with material on the web -- it was very helpful."
- "I especially enjoyed the live displays in the lab."
- "The best part of the course was the labs -- the dissections and live specimens made it very interesting."
About the WWW material . . .
- "The WWW material is incredibly useful and helpful."
- "The web site was a tremendous asset that I used a lot."
- "The www site was excellent, more credit should be given where it is due. Dr. Palmer and Ron deserve an award for all their work and time put into it."
- "The greatest study material available."
- "I used the web extensively for labs. Extremely helpful to spur the memory. I know I'll go back to that site whenever I need to look up inverts."
- "Ron is a god! I used the web pages religiously for the labs."
About the text . . .
- "Text was excellent (although very expensive)."
About the Bamfield Field Trip . . .
- "The field trip to Bamfield was excellent and really helped to back up what we learned in class."
- "The field trip was an awesome idea, I wish I could have been a part of it."
- "This course was absolutely a treat. The hands on field trip to Bamfield was the greatest learning experience I've had yet."
About the other components of the course . . .
- "The package of notes is a really big help!"
Back to Zool 250 Home Page
(revised Jan. 6, 2000)