Zoology 250: Survey of the Invertebrates
What students said in 1998
About the course in general . . .
- "This was the only class I had that I only looked at the clock when the class was over."
- "[The instructor] is truly excellent. He explains concepts clearly, tells interesting stories, and his handouts are EXCELLENT. The labs were interesting and fun, same goes for the web material (excellent)."
- "I feel that I've learned the most in this class compared to all my others. It is nice to see an instructor that cares about his students!"
- "In real life, I've never been a big fan of Zoology, but there were many interesting things in this course."
- "No major complaints, I've been here for four years and I can usually find something to complain about -- not this time -- great job!"
- "I am going to have a completely different outlook next time I am at home in Victoria or SCUBA diving."
- "As a creationist I feel [the instructor] did an OK job of presenting a balance to the systematics, but still, some of the more troubling issues were glossed over (I don't blame [the instructor] . . . you do the best with what your given)."
About the lectures . . .
- "The lectures were made extremely interesting because of [the instructor's] enthusiasm, thorough knowledge, and wit."
- "[I liked] the way the material was presented, having handouts that broke the material down was very effective. It allowed for concepts to be presented in a reasonable manner . . . no information overload." "There is nothing I didn't like about the lectures, I wanted to come to class."
- "The best thing about the lectures would have to be [the instructor's] teaching style. He really makes this course interesting with lots of visual aids." "He always makes sure that he has an answer for your question and makes sure you get it."
- "[The instructor] was a very good teacher. You could tell he totally loved what he was teaching and he wanted everyone to know why it was so great. He also never acted like he was so much better than the students and treated each question as a good one."
About the labs . . .
- "The labs were really fun (it's not often you can say that about a university science course). The instructors were all so helpful. I loved doing the dissections and observing all the things [in the display tank]."
- "Labs were excellent -- I learned more from these labs than I ever have in lab components before."
- "The labs were very much in synch with the lecture material. We were all given the responsibility of learning independently."
- "The labs were great, and I think this was all due to [the lab technician] . . . he does a great job and really makes the lab what it is."
About the WWW material . . .
- "The [WWW material] was extremely useful!"
About the text . . .
- "The text is excellent, one of the only books I enjoyed reading."
About the other components of the course . . .
- "The annotated bibliography was a great idea."
Back to Zool 250 Home Page
(revised Jan. 10, 1999)