Zoology 250: Survey of the Invertebrates
What students said in 2000
About the course in general . . .
- "Great class; I never thought I would end up enjoying inverts!"
- "This is one of the best courses I've taken. The material is fascinating and very well presented. That the course notes were included with the lab notes is a huge help because I can actually listen to the lecture as opposed to frantically writing. All of the components of the course fit together terrifically, and I feel I learned much more in this course than I do in most other courses."
- "Though I have always known that the inverts are an incredibly diverse group, they never really struck me as interesting before I took this course. Dr. Palmer's genuine enthusiasm about the subject and the remarkable amount of interesting facts presented were great. After 3 years of biology, mainly studying mammals, I have come to reconsider my area of focus. Thanks for the effort and fascination."
About the lectures . . .
- "The fashion in which material was presented kept everyone awake and on the edge of their seats, waiting for more."
- "I really enjoyed drawing out the diagrams in lecture because by physically drawing and describing certain structures it was a lot easier to remember the material."
- "Good use of visual material, and the course note booklet is a brilliant idea. Allows us to listen and digest, not just copy."
- "A perfect mix of glossing over some material and lots of details on other material."
About the labs . . .
- "Terrific diversity available to dissect and examine."
- "The labs were the best ones I have had in my 3 years at university. The TA's and Ron were very helpful. "
- "Having the lab so closely correlated with the lecture material weekly is something I've never had before in a course. Having Dr. Palmer mention things to look at in lab showed he was aware of what was going on -- something else other profs don't bother to do. The specimens available were awesome!"
- "The structure of the labs, the live material (thanks Ron!), and the TA's made the lab one of the best I've had for any course!"
About the WWW material . . .
- "The web material is awesome! It's the best web resource I've had for any class I've taken so far. I wish all of my classes had a web page like that!"
- "The web site was extremely helpful, before and after labs. It was amazing!"
- "The web page rocked! The study images were essential! Keep them coming!"
About the text . . .
- "The text was great. I wouldn't change it at all. It was interesting to read and easy to follow. The pictures were also pretty cool!"
About the Bamfield Field Trip . . .
- "I enjoyed the Bamfield trip immensely. Never have I seen people more excited over invertebrates!"
Back to Zool 250 Home Page
(revised March 9, 2002)