Botany 431 - Physiological Plant Ecology
At the end of your study this week, you should be able to achieve the objectives listed below. You must assemble the evidence that you have achieved these learning outcomes into your Portfolio. You should provide evidence that would be regarded as performance at the top two levels of Biggs' SOLO Taxonomy.
The material in your Portfolio will be assessed as Project 3.
If you wish to discuss this material informally with your peers, you can interact in
Esme's Coffee Shop.
You can also challenge your peers by posting questions for them to respond to on the
Student Quiz Board.
When you have completed this section you will be able to:
- Distinguish between first and second order effects of elevated carbon dioxide levels on plants and communities.
- Compare and contrast the responses of C3 and C4 plants to elevated carbon dioxide levels.
- Analyse how increased atmospheric carbon dioxide levels can influence the nature of interactions between plants, their fungal and insect pathogens, and decomposers.
- Koch & Mooney. 1995. Carbon Dioxide and Terrestrial Ecosystems. Academic Press.
- Korner & Bazzaz. 1996. Carbon Dioxide, Populations and Communities. Academic Press.
- Bazzaz, F. & McConnaughay. Aust J Bot 40:547 (1992). Objective 1
- Cotrufo, M.F. et al. Plant & Soil 163:121 (1994). Objective 3
- Cotrufo, M.F. & Ineson P. Plant & Soil 170:267 (1995). Objective 3
- Drake, B. Aust J Bot 40:57 (1992). Objective 1
- Drake, B. et al. Ann Rev Plant Physiol & Mol Biol 48:607 (1997). Objective 2
- Eamus & Jarvis. Adv Ecol Res 19:1 (1989). Objective 1
- Ineichen, K. et al. Plant Cell Environ 18:70 3(1995). Objective 3
- Julkunen-Tiitto, R. et al. Oecologia 95:495 (1993). Objective 3
- Lewis, J.D. et al. Plant & Soil 165:81-88 (1994). Objective 3
- Lindroth, R.L. et al. Ecology 74:763 (1993). Objective 3
- Pregitzer, K.S. et al. New Phytol 129:579 (1995). Objective 3
Click below to return to the Course Topic Outline
Return to Topic Outline
Site last modified October 31, 1997
© University of Alberta, 1997