Botany 431 - Physiological Plant Ecology
At the end of your study this week, you should be able to achieve the objectives listed below. You must assemble the evidence that you have achieved these learning outcomes into your Portfolio. You should provide evidence that would be regarded as performance at the top two levels of Biggs' SOLO Taxonomy.
The material in your Portfolio will be assessed as Project 2.
If you wish to discuss this material informally with your peers, you can interact in
Esme's Coffee Shop.
You can also challenge your peers by posting questions for them to respond to on the
Student Quiz Board.
When you have completed this section you will be able to:
- By reference to a Kautsky curve, describe the events taking place on or near chloroplast membranes to produce the fluorescence recorded by the curve.
- By reference to the data produced by a modulated fluorimeter, explain how excitation of the photosystems may be quenched. You should refer to photochemical and non-photochemical quenching, xanthophylls and photoinhibition.
- Evaluate the ecological significance of carbon isotope discrimination data from plants with different photosynthetic pathways.
- Objectives 1 & 2.
- Hall et al. 1993. p193-206.
- Jones. 1992. p179-185.
- Objective 3.
- Hall et al. 1993. p181-192.
- Pearcy et al. 1989. p281-300.
Click below to return to the Course Topic Outline
Return to Topic Outline
Site last modified October 9, 1997
© University of Alberta, 1997