—test your knowledge of Canada and its fauna—
1. Name the twelve largest lakes in Canada and estimate their total surface area. answer
2. Name two families of Heteroptera represented in Canada by only a single species. answer
3. Define in more detail the main trophic categories — shredders, collectors, scrapers and predators — recognized for Canadian (and other) caddisflies. answer
4. Give a Canadian example of each of the following close linkages (i.e. excluding simple predation, for example) between organisms.
a) between an arachnid and an aquatic insect
b) between an arachnid and a terrestrial insect
c) between aquatic larvae from two different orders
d) between a fungus and an insect
e) between an ant and a butterfly
5. What percentages of the following groups are widely distributed in Canada (i.e. occur both east and west of Manitoba, though not necessarily coast to coast); and are the more restricted species of these groups found mainly east or mainly west of Manitoba?
Return to Newsletter Index